Montessori Inspired Creation Unit – Day 5
This is the fifth week of our Montessori Inspired Days of Creation Unit. Each week we focus on a different day of creation over 8 weeks. On the final week, we are focusing on the overall story/story sequencing. This allows us to focus on and really retain what happened on each day of creation plus we were able to unpack some concepts that we would not have had space for if we did this in a shorter time frame. I love telling the story and reinforcing the story in different ways to aid in understanding and recall. Our review time is often similar and the story itself remains the same. There is just something different about hearing it told in more than one way plus reading it in different books and of course directly from the Bible PLUS different pictures and story cards.
Throughout this unit we emphasized a few truths from the Biblical narrative of creation. First, God is good. Second, God created everything good.
Day 5 is the creation of the birds and the sea creatures. One to fill the ocean and one to fill the sky.
Note: The first lesson is also a lesson I teach to multiple children in our Sunday School Class.
Here’s what we did during week 5!
Lesson/Presentation 1 Outline/Resources:
- Review Bible Verses (Working on the Romans Road)
- Story Telling (My own narrative)
- Sing – 1 – “God is Good All the Time” (We just sing the first couple of lines a capella a few times and repeat), 2 – “God made everything”
- Bird/Sea Creature Game (Physical Play/Animal Exploration) – I would say “Bird” or “Sea Creature” and the children would run around acting out an animal in that category. It was fun and silly! They made noises, moved their bodies to mimic what they animal would do to fly, hop, swim, dive, float etc. They would share what animal they were acting out
Lesson/Presentation 2 Outline/Resources:
- Tray for Day 5 of Creation (No pictures from this week either! It looked similar to the Godly Play version though. See video below!)
- Read The Story of Creation (Day 5) from The Beginner’s Bible
Lesson/Presentation 3 Outline/Resources:
- Creation Tray Day 5
- Godly Play Presentation (See this video min 6:53 starts day 5; I used the trays for day 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 for this.)
- Art Tray for Day 5 of Creation
- Exploring the number 5 (fun, conversational + bring me game)
Lesson/Presentation 4 Outline/Resources:
- Days of Creation Printable from Green Urban Creative
- Review Story Cards from Day 1, 2, 3, & 4 of Creation. We laid in order on the mat and then read new story card together – Day 5 of Creation. We used this for matching work and story sequencing work.
Lesson/Presentation 5 Outline/Resources:
- Read Story of Creation (Day 5) from the Jesus Storybook Bible
- Exploring sea creatures and birds (We played with Schleich animals that fall in each category. We sorted them and then just played for fun all week after this lesson!)
- Exploring the number 5 bring me game (if interested)
Lesson/Presentation 6 Outline/Resources:
- Invite child to circle time. When it is time to tell the story or read the story, invite them to tell you. Let them choose whatever tray or book they would like to use.
- I had wanted to visit some sea creatures OR birds that we don’t normally see BUT with travel restrictions this did not happen with this unit this year. We did although do some extra bird watching for fun!