Montessori Inspired Creation Unit – Day 6
This is the sixth week of our Montessori Inspired Days of Creation Unit. Each week we focus on a different day of creation over 8 weeks. On the final week, we are focusing on the overall story/story sequencing. This allows us to focus on and really retain what happened on each day of creation plus we were able to unpack some concepts that we would not have had space for if we did this in a shorter time frame. I love telling the story and reinforcing the story in different ways to aid in understanding and recall. Our review time is often similar and the story itself remains the same. There is just something different about hearing it told in more than one way plus reading it in different books and of course directly from the Bible PLUS different pictures and story cards.
Throughout this unit we emphasized a few truths from the Biblical narrative of creation. First, God is good. Second, God created everything good.
Day 6 is the day God created animals and humans!
Note: The first lesson is also a lesson I teach to multiple children in our Sunday School Class.
Here’s what we did during week 6!
Lesson/Presentation 1 Outline/Resources:
- Review Bible Verses (Working on the Romans Road)
- Story Telling
- Sing – 1 – “God is Good All the Time” (We just sing the first couple of lines a capella a few times and repeat), 2 – “God made everything”, 3 – God made Animals
Lesson/Presentation 2 Outline/Resources:
- Tray for Day 6 of Creation (No picture this week either… I know, I was slacking! We did something similar to the Godly Play Presentation in the video linked below.)
- Read The Story of Creation (Day 6) from The Beginner’s Bible
Lesson/Presentation 3 Outline/Resources:
- Creation Tray Day 6
- Godly Play Presentation (See this video min 7:56 starts day 6. I used the trays for day 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 for this.)
- Art Tray for Day 6 of Creation
- Exploring the number 6 (fun, conversational + bring me game)
- Activity: God created me in his image (Explore our own image in the mirror and discuss)
Lesson/Presentation 4 Outline/Resources:
- Days of Creation Printable from Green Urban Creative
- Review Story Cards from Day 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 of Creation. We laid in order on the mat and then read new story card together – Day 6 of Creation. We used this for matching work and story sequencing work.
Lesson/Presentation 5 Outline/Resources:
- Read Story of Creation (Day 6) from the Jesus Storybook Bible
- Exploring animals in the Bible.
- Exploring animals (we used our Schleich animals we have! Just hands on play for this activity)
- Exploring the number 6 bring me game (if interested)
Lesson/Presentation 6 Outline/Resources:
- Invite child to circle time. When it is time to tell the story or read the story, invite them to tell you. Let them choose whatever tray or book they would like to use.